Our family will be leaving for a six week mission trip the last part of June. We will be working with the Fairview Park Christian Church. Our main goal will be to enourage the believer's and disciple the seeker's in Yuen Long, Hong Kong.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The wrong bus

Well this morning (July4th here, Tuesday) I was supposed to meet with Janed at 9:00 a.m. for bible study on the book of Mark. She is a Columbian lady who is married to a Chinese Police man, they have one son, Ryan who is 4 years old. Her husband is not a Christian, but she and Ryan come faithfully to church and have been Christians for many years. Ryan speaks Spanish, Cantonese & English at home, and is learning Mandarin at school. So at the age of 4 he is quadlingual. Janed speaks Enlish, but very little Cantonese. She and I spoke in Spanish which she is most comfortable with, and the Columbian is very similar Spanish dialect to the Mexican I know. So that went well.
Children start Kindergarten here at the age 2 years 8 months. The start learning English about then as well. So Ariella is 2 years 7 months, so next month she would be able to start school.
Anyway, Janed is 4 months pregnant and she had her domestic helper, Nani (who attends FPCC) call me at 8:30 to say that she was not feeling well so we would not meet for bible study. So we decided to go to Yuen Long and look for something Jean could wear and take back as a souvenir. She has been finding things for her grandkids & friends & neighbors and we kept saying Jean you need to get something for yourself. She hasnt done that so Tj and I said, lets buy her a chinese shirt or something. So we went to the bus stop around the corner and waited for the bus. We have been to Yuen Long a lot so we have become pretty comfortable there, we were talking and got on the bus. We drove what seemed to be a little longer, but my curtains were drawn on the windows and was not watching where we were going. So we got to the stop, got out and realized, if we were in Yuen long, we did not know what part of Yuen Long, I looked at signs etc. and realized we were not in Yuen Long but instead had gone the opposite direction to Sheung Shui, it is the town that borders Shenzhen, China. It was a lot smaller than Yuen Long and more "Chinese" looking, less crowded, less modern. So we figured since we were there, we might as well have a look around. We walked down a few streets, found a little market area. We found some light sweaters that Jean had an eye on before. The Asian ladies wear them over tank top type shirts. So we got Jean one then it started to rain like we have never seen yet here in Hong Kong, it really downpoured and cooled off a lot.
Thankfully we all had umbrellas.
Yesterday we went to Hong Kong Disney. It was not a pleasant experience because it was so unbearably HOT. Hey Ben, when you check the weather on your little thingy, if it is giving you current temperature it is checking the temp. at night. So you need to check it at about midnight - 2 am. Anyway it was so Hot we were only there about 1 hour and Jean about passed out. I mean we seriously thought she was going to pass out. We tried to get her to drink a lot of water. and got her to cool down in some shops. We only stayed until about 3 and we were all very ready to go home. The kids and Tj and I had fun but would have had more fun without the sun. Don't know if it was because we were American's or because Ariella has blond hair and blue eyes, but we got special treatment. When we were on the carousel, all of the Chinese in line would wave at Ari and yell and when she waved at them they would laugh and cheer. When we got off one of the workers waved me over and said, "Shh special for you" and she gave us 4 fast passes to a different ride. And then we walking and a lady literally pulled us over "Come try this ride, not open to public, you test ride" It was funny. The Waters family actually bought a summer pass because for adults it was only $20 more than the regular ticket and for Micah $15 more. So we will go back maybe in the late afternoon/evening or on a rainy, cooler day.
We must go now to have lunch with Joyce who is from church. She is doctor in a hospital in Kowloon.
Miss all of you,
barbie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Barbie
We made it through another 4th of July party! We really missed you & Tj. It was a little stressed this year My mom had complications from her back surgery and was hospitalized for a few days and I was in Wooster off and on for 3 days before the party.She is doing better. Then I recieved a call from Jerrilynn. She was missing us (interesting?) and wanted to talk to me she spent allot of time crying and talking about how she had disconnected from everyone. I heard in her voice something I had not heard before, remorse. To make a long story short (we will talk more when you get home) Jerrilynn & Matt came to the party on the 4th. Barbie no matter what this child has done nothing felt better than be able to hold her in my arms!!! It went good while she was here. Before she came we spent time with the 3 boys talking about her coming. They all seem okay I think they feel like David & I do we are optimisticaly cautious. Just keep praying I know God is working on her and I know whatever happens it will somehow bring glory to God!!
I have really enjoyed reading your reports from Hong Kong. I know that you and Tj will be a blessing to all the people there!! I look forward to seeing Jean!! Give Mica and my ariella a really big hug from me I really miss them!! oops! I really miss you and Tj too!!
Be safe and know that I pray for you everyday!!
Lots of Love to all of you!!

Thu Jul 06, 08:52:00 AM 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home